Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Clean vs. Foo

I want to paint candy sprinkles, with butterflies & unicorns embellished with rhinestones across my models face. Ooh, I also plan on using every color in my Coastal Scents 88 shimmer palette too. *side eye*
That folks is what we call foo-foo. Wait?! You still don't get what foo-foo is. Here let me show you.

I totally own this work. This was about 6 months into doing makeup. *hangs head in shame*

Now, if I do foo-foo, I tend to opt for a more clean foo-foo. Here, let me show you.
Clean foo-foo. 




But really, foo-foo is just for fun. Unless your name is RoShar, there is no money in foo-foo. It's all in the clean work! What is clean work? Ever seen a Kohls ad? Or a Dove ad? Yeah, that is clean. If you still do not get it, let me show you.

This is clean. And yes, I totally own this one too.

 
More clean.



If you really want to do your homework on clean beauty, check out Yisell Santos. She knows her clean work! And does it so beautifully.

But I thought makeup was about slapping every color of the rainbow on your face with exaggerated cut creases, huge false lashes, & glitter bombs? Yeah NO! I mean, sure, you can do that if you want too. But clean work is what pays the bills. What books you the big commercial jobs. Clean is also a lot harder than busting out your 120 palette & slapping color on. You have to know how to properly contour & highlight. You have to know lighting, you have to know bone structure. Lastly, you have to know when to put the brush down! Clean is about perfectly the no makeup look. 

I will be totally honest, I still struggle with clean beauty. I sadly didn't learn the lesson that clean pays and foo doesn't until almost a year into doing makeup. So, I'm like a total newbie all over again. The only reason I learned that clean is the way to go is from listening to my mentor while assisting. (See this post on assisting: Click Me) Yes, those looks you see from people like the Queen of Blending, and posted onto Sugarpill's facebook page are beautiful & incredibly well done. But that work isn't what is booking them jobs with Kohls, Dove, Forever 21, Hollister. It's the clean work!

So now, you as a newbie or even a more seasoned pro, know the difference between clean & foo-foo. It's up to you to decide which way you will go. Will you strive to be better than RoShar or Lottie. One of which is known for their outlandish makeup & one is known for their clean work.

If you have any comments, questions or something to add, please leave a comment below & don't forget to subscribe!
Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment